Monday, August 27, 2012

God Speed

Yesterday I posted a video in observance of the passing of Neil Armstrong.  I titled my post "God Speed Neil Armstrong".  Some of you may have realized I borrowed this phrase from another astronaut, Scott Carpenter.  Not only do I remember where I was when I watched Neil Armstrong's "small step-giant leap" onto the surface of the moon, I remember where I was when Mr. Carpenter spoke the words, "God speed John Glenn".  Carpenter, one of the original seven astronauts was "CAPCOM" (Capsule Communicator) on February 20, 1962 when John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth. Just as the rocket carrying Glenn lifted off, Scott Carpenter radioed to Glenn and said, "God Speed John Glenn".

We've come a long way since 1962, or have we?  If a NASA astronaut today used the phrase "God Speed", I wonder if he'd have a job tomorrow?   

No comments: