Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Our Nation's Heart

I like baseball.  George F. Will likes baseball.  Do you suppose that's why I like George F. Will?  Not only do I like Mr. Will, I most usually agree with what he writes in his opinion columns.  And I suppose that's because he's a Conservative and so am I.  However, his latest op-ed in the Washington Post, "Can Romney Turn This Contest Around", leaves me not wanting to agree with him even though he's usually spot on.  It also leaves me wanting to ask him a question.

Mr. Will seems to be preparing us for an Obama victory next month.  He ends his article with this..."the nation, which is generally reluctant to declare a president a failure - thereby admitting that it made a mistake in choosing him - seems especially reluctant to give up on the first African American president.  If so, the 2012 election speaks well of the nation's heart, if not its head."

I got a feeling Mr. Will may be right regarding the election, but I hope not.  

Now for my question.  In the 1980 presidential election Jimmy Carter was defeated after only serving four years.  He is a Democrat.  He is white.  He is a born-again Christian and so involved in his church that he's called "deacon".  Mr Will, how does that election speak of the nation's heart and head?


No comments: