Monday, June 4, 2012

Democrats, Republicans And Buckleys

Yup, I'm going to start a third political party and call myself a "Buckley".  I needed to pick something that was easy to remember because of my age.  My last name is "Buckland"...get it?  




Alright.  Alright.  The real reason for the name is William F. Buckley, Jr.  He's the guy that had the PBS weekly show "Firing Line" and when you watched it you made sure you had a dictionary at your side.  He's also the guy who Rush Limbaugh would have voted for had he been running against God in a presidential election.


I don't use big fancy words like he did (don't know any), but I kinda think like he did.  Here's a sampling of quotes made by Mr. Buckley...

"Conservatives should be adamant about the need for the reappearance of Judeo-Christianity in the public square."
"Decent people should ignore politics, if only they could be confident that politics would ignore them".
"A Conservative is a fellow who is standing athwart history yelling 'Stop!"
"The academic community has in it the biggest concentration of alarmists, cranks and extremists this side of the giggle house".
"I profoundly believe it takes a lot of practice to become a moral slob".
"Back in the thirties we were told we must collectivize the nation because the people were so poor.  Now we are told we must collectivize the nation because the people are so rich".
"Liberals, it has been said, are generous with other peoples' money, except when it comes to questions of national survival when they prefer to be generous with other peoples' freedom and security".

Some pretty good thoughts to base a party platform on, wouldn't you say?


I believe Mr. Buckley knew that Barack Obama would win the election in November, 2008.  I also believe he was quite sure all Conservatives with a capital "C" would go to Heaven.  And even if they didn't, an eternity in Hell was better than enduring four years of an Obama presidency.  


William F. Buckley, Jr. passed away on February 27, 2008.  He was 82 years old.  


Anyone wanting to join my party, please leave your comment below.


And one more thing.  I've always wondered if Mr. Buckley ever moonlighted as a plumbers assistant?

No comments: