Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Technogeek

The Urban Dictionary defines a "technogeek" as an individual that embraces specialized technological interests, often at the expense of human relationships.  A few years back I bought one of the first really nice digital cameras, with a really nice digital flash and a really nice computer and a really nice printer with all the software.  I shut down my darkroom and migrated to my computer room.  I do miss my Kodachrome but I really like my Photoshop.  Pardon the pun, but you get the picture.  I've got the latest tablet with the latest Wi-Fi and the latest and smartest "Smart TV" with the latest surround sound.


Anyway, I ran across this video today and it took me back to when I was ten years old and one of my first memories of a "gadget", the record player.  You folks over 80 call it a phonograph and you folks who aren't around anymore call it a "gramophone".  You folks who aren't yet fifty and don't know what these terms mean can Google it.  The only thing electronic about this device was the electricity but it was a "specialized technological interest" of mine.  This was back in 1956 and I really liked that record player.


But soon after that my human relationships were not at the expense of my specialized technological interests. In other words, I was at the age where I was standing on the corner a lot and...      




Inspired by "Maggie's Farm"

No comments: